Log in   •   Sign up   •   Subscribe  feed icon

Boom Times For China's Nuclear Power Industry

11) Fangjiashan Nuclear Power Plant


As if a dozen nuclear reactors at the Qinshan Nuclear Power Plant aren't enough, construction on the Fangjiashan Nuclear Power Plant just adjacent is now well underway.



Two 1,080 megawatt CPR-1000 pressurized water reactors are under construction, with the first reactor scheduled to begin commercial power generation in December of 2013 and the second joining it sometime in October 2014. (Chinese nuclear plant images via China.org.cn and DEC)

 

 

12) Taishan Nuclear Power Plant


The power-hungry economic zone surrounding Hong Kong in China's southern Guangdong province will get a boost beginning in December of 2013 when the first of two Areva 1,700 megawatt European Pressurized Reactor (EPR) units at the Taishan Nuclear Power Plant begins operations. Its twin is expected to join it on the grid by November of 2014.



The project is a joint venture, 70% of which is owned by China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group and the remaining 30% by Électricité de France. (Chinese nuclear plant images via CMSG and CSCEC)

 

 

13) Changjiang Nuclear Power Plant


The Changjiang Nuclear Power Plant currently under construction in Tangxing Village in Hainan is the first such plant to be built on this large island off China's southern coast.



A total of four 650-megawatt CNP-600 pressurized water reactors divided into two phases will comprise the complex, with the first reactor due to come online in mid-2014. (Chinese nuclear plant images via ChinaFotoPress/Bloomberg Businessweek and CABR Tech)

 

 

14) Haiyang Nuclear Power Plant


The Haiyang Nuclear Power Plant is strategically located in the bustling Shandong province manufacturing and residential zone anchored by the cities of Qingdao, Yantai, Weihai and Haiyang itself. The scale of the currently under construction complex is massive: plans call for a total of eight AP1000 reactors split into three phases.



The first two reactors comprising Phase I are expected to add electrical power to the grid in May of 2014 and March of 2015. (Chinese nuclear plant images via The Augusta Chronicle and CABR Tech)
   

 

15) Xianning Nuclear Power Plant


As the first Chinese nuclear power plant to be built inland and not on the seacoast, the Xianning Nuclear Power Plant in east-central Hubei province will draw its cooling water from the Fushui Reservoir. Due to rising wages in China's coastal manufacturing concerns it's expected factories will gradually shift their operations inland where wage expectations among the mainly rural populace are lower.



A total of four AP1000 reactors split into two phases are envisioned for the completed plant in Dafanzhen. Ground was broken for the first reactor in 2011 and assuming all goes well, that reactor unit will go online to the grid sometime in 2015. (Chinese nuclear plant images via Wikipedia and Energy China Forum)







Recent reports of choking air pollution from coal-fired factory operations and fossil-fuel power plants illustrate the cost of China's breakneck economic growth.

While expectations are that growth will continue, the people's patience with pollution and its associated detrimental health effects is even now reaching worrisome levels both for the public and the Party.

Going nuclear in a big way should do much to clear the nation's skies and the public's lungs, as long as there isn't a “China Syndrome” to throw things off the rails. (Chinese nuclear plant images via The Breakthrough, top, and NBC News/Mike Clarke/AFP-Getty Images, above)

SEE ALSO: China's Experimental Fast Reactor Plugs Into the National Power Grid
                     Geothermal Power Gets Hot as Japan's Nuclear Plants are No Longer Cool

 
Comments
Mar 2, 2013
by Anonymous

Gee, remember when America

Gee, remember when America was smart enough to start building these? Too bad we are to short-sighted uneducated, and non-green to build them today.