You'd best hurry. You don't have much time to get your world-changing inventions to Popular Science reviewers for the 2013 'Garage' Invention Awards....
In fact, they are due January 14, 2013. But the good news is that your submission doesn't have to be complicated or long. The bad news is that if your world-changing invention is not already prototyped before the entry deadline, you will have to wait until next year's Pop Sci call for awards.
Augmented Reality Contact Lenses, iOptic, a 2012 Pop Sci Invention Award Winner: Inventor: Randy Sprague
If you look at previous years of Pop Sci award winners - 2012, 2011, or 2010 - you'll get a sense of what is meant by 'world-changing' inventions. They are the kinds of innovation that upset markets, radically change how we think about, see, or do things, change an industry... Can you create such a product from your 'garage?' Well, it could be from your office, your bedroom, or just about anywhere. But it must be created independently from your work or university.
Here are the rules for entry, as laid out by Popular Science editors:
- Inventions must be physical objects -- not abstract processes or concepts.
- There must be a working prototype, or something that demonstrates that an invention actually works.
- An invention should be poised to create a market or disrupt an existing one (in other words, not be a boondoggle in search of a problem).
- Inventions must be the work of independent inventors or small teams; outside funding is fine (even from movie stars), but inventions created wholly inside universities or other R&D labs won't be considered.
- Inventions intended to become commercial products are acceptable, but they must not already be available for sale.
- Inventions must be something new, not just a minor, incremental improvement on an existing object or product.
- Popular Science will not publish an entry online or in print without notifying the inventor first, but we will contact outside experts to verify the technology and significance of the invention.
- All intellectual-property protection is the responsibility of the entrant.
- All entries must be received by January 14, 2013 (the earlier, the better).
We'll look forward to writing about your invention as soon as the Pop Sci awards are published in the May, 2013 issue of the magazine!