I wanted one for myself the very first time I saw the photos for the Acer Iconia 6120. I think the device is all kinds of cool, simply because it is. And who doesn't love something unique and quirky that's still functional at the same time?
You might have already guessed it (based on the pictures of the device), but what makes the Iconia 6120 stand apart from the usual laptops and notebooks and tablets is because it has two 14" screens, not one. What's more, they're not just plain old screens but they're touchscreens. So you could more or less see it as two tablets merged into one integrated device.
One of the first questions that popped into my head (and it may have popped into yours as well), was that how on earth can this laptop-looking device function if it doesn't have a keyboard?
Well, through it's own virtual keyboard, that's how! The virtual keyboard is activated by pressing the button on the left hinge of the device. You can also type out text by way of writing on the bottom screen using your finger. One thing you do have to remember is to keep your non-typing fingers and palms off or you'll end up with a lot of typos and unwanted letters on your document or whatever it is you're typing.
Another feature is the Acer Ring, which is a shortcut of sorts which you can access by pressing your hand onto the bottom LCD and making a grabbing gesture. The menu then appears, displaying your favorite applications and programs that you most commonly access on the Iconia 6120, including the virtual keyboard.
Obviously there is a price that you have to pay for having 2 displays: one, it's a bit on the heavy side at 6 pounds; and two, the battery life is, well, not that great. Oh, and it currently retails at $1,199.99 so it is a very pricy device.
Here's a list of its specifications and key features:
- Dual Multi-Touch Screens: 14" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit LCDs
- Tempered Gorilla® Glass: with fingerprint-resistant coating
- Intel® Core™ i5-480M Processor 2.66GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.93GHz
- 4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel Memory
- 640GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- Intel® HD Graphics
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
- Dolby® Advanced Audio® v3 Audio Enhancement
- High Definition Audio Support
- 2 - USB 2.0 Ports & 1 - USB 3.0 Port
- Multi-Touch Virtual Keyboard
- Virtual Numeric Keypad
- Virtual Touchpad
- 1.3 Megapixel HD Webcam (1280 x 1024 resolution)
- 4-Cell Lithium-Ion (3000 mAh)
- 6.18 lbs. | 2.8 kg. (system unit only)
- Windows® 7 Home Premium
Click here to get the Acer Iconia 6120 from Amazon.