I'm not sure exactly what situation I would find myself in where I would
need the Esky Mini HD Camera Pen... but I want one, just in case. I
dunno... Ninjas or something? Or maybe because there's a monster in my
closet. Either way, this is a pure 007 James Bond device. But how would it rate up to the super-spy's standards?
Okay, let's go over the specs of this little whopper:* Built-in micro DVR
* A 1.3 megapixels camera with HD camera effects
* Can produce high-res color photos at 3840x2880 resolution
*Video recording with 1280x960 video resolution and 30 FPS of AVI format
* USB 2.0 standard interface with driver support for Windows PCs, Linux and Mac OS computers
* A micro SD Slot expandable to 8gb
* Built-in rechargeable lithium battery for up to 100 minutes of video recording
The opinions of this product are pretty much split down the middle. Here are the pros:
- Very "under the radar." People don't notice that it is a camera. It actually writes!
- The picture quality, though slighly blurry, is quite good.
- The video quality is good in proper lighting. Lenses this small need quite a bit of light.
- The quality of the audio is good as well.
Now we come to the cons:
- Apparently the instructions are somewhat difficult. Pay close attention.
- The button to operate the camera is about the size of an atom. Many people have found that they need a paper clip to turn it on. That's sort of an obvious maneuver for a spy gadget, don't 'cha think?
- There have been battery charging issues.
- And here's the worst: I just didn't work for some people. No charge, no video, no audio, nothing...
So some consumers just got a pen. Now at less than $20, it's not gonna break the bank. But after studying this, I suspect this is something of a risky buy. However, the people that like it love it.
Me? I would give it a shot because the positive consumer comments outweigh the negative. Plus it just sounds plain cool.
UPDATE: The Esky Mini HD Camera Pen has gotten an upgrade and is looking even better, so head on over to Amazon and take a look at it!