2008 is a wonderful year to be judging Halloween pet costumes. My gosh, the dog, cat, ferret and bird costumes are even cuter than they were last Halloween. This year, Lady Bee was barely able to pare the awards down to 14. Some of the award categories are Lady Bee's Best Couple In A Famous Movie, Scariest Cat, Most Devilish Dog, Best Human Impersonator and, of course, the What In The Heck Is That? category.
And for the first award...
1. Lady Bee's Most Realistic Pet Costume Award
Lion Cub Leg Avenue Dog Costume
"But he's much bigger than me, Uncle Leo. I think I'll go home now."
2. Lady Bee's Best Couple In A Famous Movie Costume Award
Rhett Butler and Scarlett O'Hara
"Well, frankly, Scarlett, I DO give a damn. I'm going to marry you, no matter how much you yap!
3. Lady Bee's Scariest Cat Costume Award
Bat Cat Costume
"You come near me little dog, I'll bite your neck and scratch your silly little ears off."
4. Lady Bee's Most Community Conscious Pet Costume
Fire Dog Pet Costume
"But Mom, it's not even raining outside!"
5. Lady Bee's Best Impersonation Of A Human Pet Costume Award
Big Dog Red Neck Pet Costume
"You ain't got nothin' better to do but stare at me?"
6. Lady Bee's Sassiest Pet Costume Award
French Maid Pet Costume
"Yes, I'm sitting down. You just bit my butt!"
7. Lady Bee's Cutest Pet Costume Award
" I'm a rabbit. I'm a rabbit. I'm a rabbit...."
8. Lady Bee's Most Devilish Pet Costume Award
Zelda - Devil Pet Costume
The devil may have worn Prada, but I can't even get up on my feet in this contraption!"
9. Lady Bee's Handsomest Pet Costume Award
"Okay lassies. Let this be the last picture then. I have to board now and meet my mates."
10. Lady Bee's Silliest Pet Costume Award
Dear Dog Donkey Outfit
"I know I ain't Einstein, but I ain't no ass either."
11. Lady Bee's Best Ferret Costume Awards
Ferret Witch and Scarecrow Hats
"Darn, they forgot to give us our brooms!"
12. Lady Bee's Best Lady Bee Award
Daisy Bee Pet Costume "Psst. I found a cookie in the last flower I landed on."
13. Lady Bee's Most Adorable Large Dog Costume Award
Flapper Dog Costume
"All that dancing around! You know, my paws are just killing me."
14. Lady Bee's 'What The Heck Is That?' Pet Costume Award
Blues Clues Pet Costume
"Oh, dear tree god, please get me out of this before the others see me. I'm gonna' lose my top dog status in this get-up!"
Oh, I could go on and on. There are some truly neat costumes out there. Shop early for the ones that match your own pets' personalities!
One more thing.....
(reprinted from 2007 column)
Lady Bee's Halloween Safe Tips For You And Your Pets
- An all-dog Halloween party, wherever dogs assemble in your area would probably be the most fun for her and for you.
- If your pet accompanies you Trick-or-Treating or stays home and greets Trick-or-Treaters at the door, keep him leashed.
- If your pet is aggressive or shows aggression at any time, take him away from others at this time. If he shows fear or barks a lot when he sees costumed youngsters or adults, take him home or away from the door.
- Don't allow your pet to be approached until others, especially children, know how to approach her.
- Don't let your pet accept food from anyone, until you have inspected it, or not at all. Don't allow him sweets of any kind, especially chocolate.
Have a happy and safe Halloween with your pets!
READ MORE: 12 Best Pet Halloween Costumes of 2012
That's the buzz for today!