For the fourth year in a row, we had a terrific group of costumes to
choose from for Lady Bee's 2010 Pet Costume Awards. We're giving
13 awards in categories such as Best Lady Gaga, Best Church Bingo, Most Helpless, Fiercest, and Best Naughty Sex pet costumes. We also award a Grand Prize for the best pet costume overall. The winning entries came from the
dog, cat and bird species. Sorry, no reptiles this year.
Without ado, I'll let these pets and their costumes speak for themselves.
1. Grand Prize Winner & Most Impressive Pet Costume Winner: American Indian Warrior Cat Halloween Costume
Don't make a move cowboy.: ©ToScarboroughFair, image via Etsy.com
Cat costumes are usually pretty lame, unless they are Japanese. But the ToScarboroughFair shop at Etsy.com
is responsible for designing this cat headdress and other costumes for
cats that represent the pioneer days and Thanksgiving. The head
coverings by this intriguingly specialized designer are all handmade and
make wonderful Halloween costumes for cats. The designer even provides
advice about placing head coverings on your cat so they will stay there.
2. Fiercest Pet Costume: Lion King for Dogs Halloween Costume
The Disney company came up with this brilliant costume, inspired by The Lion King, which looks so real on this dog!
I'm not yawning, I'm about to eat you, you fool.: ©Disney Costume Ideas
Maybe not so fierce on a little dog, but very cute!
She'll never know who I really am.: Lion King Dog Costume
The Lion Dog Costume is available at Maskworld.com in many sizes.
3. Best Naughty Sex Costume: Dominatrix (or Doginatrix) Dog Halloween Costume
I know you want me to whip you, my little beastie boy.: Dominatrix Dog Costume
The Doginatrix Dog Costume is just perfect for a Doberman... don't you think?
4. Best Lady Gaga Impersonator: Doggy Gaga Halloween Costume
Best Female Impersonator: Doggie Gaga
hot costume for dogs this year is a Lady Gaga costume. Doggy Gaga
costumes are many and varied, but this blingy Gaga took the prize.
Photographer Jesse Freidin has photographed an array of them, adorning professional dog models.
5. Funniest Pet Costume: Zelda Cave Dog Halloween Costume
You have a bone to pick? Well, it's not going to be mine!: Zelda Cave Dog Costume
For those of you who don't know Zelda, she's one of the most popular dogs around, her mom having made her into a legend in her own time. Charles Gibson of Good Morning America called Zelda, "the industry's top dog." No doubt, he was referring to the marketing industry. Among Zelda's many talents, she's a clothing model, and her mom... well, she designs some awesome costumes for her. Zelda's Cave Dog Costume is available from Amazon.com.
6. Most Helpless Looking Pet Costume: Spider Dog Halloween Costume
What do you THINK I'm supposed to be? A black octopus?: Spider Dog Costume
This cutie - the costume, that is - comes in several sizes at Amazon.com,
but I can't imagine a dog feeling any dignity in it - especially when
the stuffed spider legs wiggle all around when he walks.
7. Best Bird As Best Man Costume: Large Bird Tux With Tails Flight Suit Halloween Costume
My tailor made this for weddings and funerals.: image credit FlightQuarters.com
Avian Fashions always
keeps their birds in fashionable clothing that doubles as diapers, so
the birds don't make too much of a mess on your own clothing... and
8. Most Adorable Pet Costume: Ghost Dog Halloween Costume
Suppose I meet a real ghost in this outfit?: Ghost Dog Costume
The Ghost Dog Costume
is so cute with the beady black eyes up on the head. The outfit has
three layers so air fills them up and it looks really spooky when your
dog moves. Even more ghostly on a white dog!
9. In The Queen's Service Pet Costume: Knighted Dog Halloween Costume
As the first dog to be knighted by the Queen, I take my responsibilities very seriously.: Knighted Dog Costume, image via Doggibling.com
have not been able to locate a retail source for this costume (maybe it
is handmade), but it is quite original and it's very becoming as well.
10. Best Riding High Pet Costume: Rocket Space Dog Halloween Costume
"To the moon, Alice, to the moon!": Rocket Space Dog Costume
The metallic silver jacket and the plush red rocket give lots of pizazz to the Rocket Space Costume. This is a well made costume, so it's a bit pricey, but promises to be in style for a long time to come.
11. Best Church Bingo Pet Costume: Zelda Bouffant Dog Halloween Costume
I won't lose my purse or my keys... I stored them in my hair.: Zelda Bouffant Dog Costume
A second award for Zelda, she's a veritable gambling grandma here, and
I wonder what words of wisdom Zelda would have for this costume. Zelda
left her pink satin heels at home, but you can purchase the
rest of the costume at Amazon.com.
12. Best Punk Costume: Tattoo Dog Halloween Costume
I'm not a biker; I just like tattoos.: Tattoo Dog Costume
This costume should not give you any ideas... It's just a costume... available at Amazon.com.
13. Best Big Dog Costume: Barking Bat Dog Halloween Costume
This is Bat Waldo in his Barking Bat Dog Costume: image credit: DogsInDuds.com
The Barking Bat Dog Costume is an adorable costume on the right dog. This Airedale carries it off!
Lady Bee's Halloween Safe Tips For You And Your Pets
- An all-dog Halloween party, wherever dogs assemble in your area, would probably be the most fun for her and for you.
If your pet accompanies you Trick-or-Treating or stays home and
greets Trick-or-Treaters at the door, keep him leashed.
If your pet is aggressive or shows aggression at any time, take
him away from others at this time. If he shows fear or barks a lot when
he sees costumed youngsters or adults, take him home or away from the
- Don't allow your pet to be approached until others, especially children, know how to approach her. If that seems okay, have a bag of healthy dog treats handy, in case the kids want to give her a treat. Don't let your pet accept other food from anyone.
Have a happy and safe Halloween with your pets!
You can find Lady Bee's past Best Pet Halloween Costumes by clicking these links: 2009, 2008, and 2007.
That's the buzz for today!