New Video Game Releases: Week 12, 2011
This week's diverse pick includes some pretty interesting titles that will provide you with hours of gaming fun. Take on a wide variety of your favorite characters from the Final Fantasy franchise in its newest title, Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy. Shoot down some alien enemies in Crysis 2 or play as a tamer hero in PlayStation Move Heroes. If you have a passion for cars rather than guns then get ready for some wild racing with TrackMania Turbo: Build to Race. Take your sims to an all-new (or rather, old) level in The Sims Medieval and replay your favorite Star Wars scenes with a twist in LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars.
Final Fantasy is probably one of the most well-known roleplaying games in gaming history and now the franchise is back with a new title to add to its arsenal: Dissidia 012 [duodecim] Final Fantasy. The fight against evil is still far from over but this time, you've got a longer roster of characters to play as, some of them being from the previous Final Fantasy titles. Here's more about the game:
"The divine conflict between harmony
and discord rages on, the fate of the world its promised prize. Fighting
to secure it are brave souls summoned for that solitary purpose. These
warriors, relying on what fragments of their shattered memories remain,
fight to end the conflict - and for a chance to return home, to the
worlds they each once knew.
- The battle between good and evil continues: The action-packed world of Dissidia Final Fantasy is back in full-force, now with new game modes, story missions, items, alternate costumes and combat features
- Soar through expansive environments and participate in gripping combat, all while enjoying RPG-based character development that adds a rich layer of depth to the story behind the clashing forces
- New characters revealed: Kain (Final Fantasy IV), Tifa (Final Fantasy VII) and Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII) are revealed as playable characters - the first of many new faces to step up in this ultimate battle between good and evil
- New features and scenarios: New to Dissidia 012[duodecim] Final Fantasy are an Assist feature that enables players to enlist characters as back-up in combat, as well as a playable Chaos storyline that further enhances the robust gameplay experience "
TrackMania Turbo: Build to Race was first released on the Nintendo DS but now it's slated for release on the Wii. That can only mean one thing: more amazing racing action! Get ready to steer your way through over two hundred tracks filled with ramps and loops and unexpected twists with every turn of your wheel. Here's more information about the game:
"TrackMania, the most fun-filled racing game played by millions of players worldwide, makes its big entrance in the console world with this remarkable adaptation for the Nintendo Wii! The sensations, the unquestionable fun and the unique gameplay of this legendarycar game are intact!
Using your Wiimote and your Nunchuk, your gamepad or your Wii Wheel, drive racing cars at incredible speeds on spectacular tracks full of ramps, loops, turbo boosts, and other crazy track-blocks. Race on more than 200 tracks divided into six drastically different environments, and numerous game modes!
TrackMania on Wii also offers the incredible, essential and beloved track editor that gives the chance to create an infinite number of personal tracks! Then share your craziest creations with your friends, thanks to the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection! Of course, multiplayer modes are included: Hotseat mode, 4 players split-screen, and especially online play using Nintendo Wi-Fi connection! Compete against your friends and join online players from all around the world!"
Be a real hero in PlayStation Move Heroes which brings together some of the most famous heroes (you guessed it) from different franchises all into one game! Literally guide the heroes as they fight for justice and for their survival on the innovative PlayStation Move motion controller system and get ready for some serious action. Here's more about the game here:
"PlayStation Move Heroes brings together three iconic franchises and fan-favorite characters--Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Sly, and Bentley--for the first time in an out-of-this-world intergalactic adventure. Explore familiar landscapes from the smash hit franchises Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper ripped apart and rebuilt for PlayStation Move motion controller mayhem. Within these adventures players will test their skills in a host of new and exciting challenges against fiendishly mysterious new adversaries. Take a hold of a whole new arsenal of super powered weapons as you Smash, Hurl, and Shoot your way to freedom.
Key Game Features:
- Mix and match your favorite characters including Ratchet, Clank, Jak, Daxter, Sly, and Bentley to create your own super squad of PlayStation Heroes.
- Take a hold of a whole new arsenal of super powered weapons as you Smash, Hurl, and Shoot your way to freedom.
- Team together with a friend in 2 player co-op mode as you work together to defeat these new villainous foes.
- Compatible peripherals include: PlayStation Move motion controller and PlayStation Eye camera, DualShock 3 wireless controller, PlayStation Move navigation controller."
Get your trigger finger ready because here's another shooter and you won't want to back down from your enemies in this one. Go against futuristic enemies and save the human race from extinction in the sequel to one of the most lauded first-person shooter games of all time: Crysis 2. Here's more about the game here:
"The world has been ravaged by a series of climatic disasters and society is on the verge of total breakdown. Now the aliens have returned, with a full invasion force bent on nothing less than the total annihilation of mankind, starting by trying to rip the heart out of Earth’s most iconic city. In New York, terrifying alien invaders stalk the streets and a nightmare plague strikes down the city’s myriad inhabitants with brutal epidemic speed. The city’s systems are in chaos, its streets and skyline are smashed and in flaming ruin. This is New York City like you’ve never seen it before.
Key Game Features:
- New York New York - Crysis set the visual benchmark for PC games that still stands today. Crysis 2 redefines the benchmark on console and PC platforms, shifting their attention to the rich urban jungle of New York City.
- Amazing Aliens and AI - Challenging best-in-class AI with unique group coordination and group behavior systems which give realistic responses to your actions.
- Nanosuit 2 - Adapt your combat tactics by customizing your Nanosuit and weapons in real time with revised modes, unlocking a variety of supersoldier abilities."
The Sims is one of the most well-known and longest running simulation games out there and this week brings another new addition to the continuously expanding franchise: The Sims Medieval. Take a trip back in time to Medieval Europe where you are, as always, in charge of keeping your sim happy and taking care of all their needs. Here's more about the game:
"The Sims Medieval takes The Sims franchise into the Middle Ages with all new features, new graphics and new ways to play. For the first time, players can create heroes, venture on quests, and build up a kingdom all their own. In an ancient land of adventure, drama and romance, players will be able to get medieval like nobody could ever have imagined.
Key Game Features:
- Classic The Sims gameplay set in an exciting Medieval European setting full of adventure, drama, and romance
- Gameplay requires a balance between the day-to-day wants and needs of Sims heroes, as well as the quests required of the them and the declared goal of the kingdom
- Light RPG gameplay as players create heroes, send them on epic quests and level up their skills and abilities
- Quests allow for extensive replay value as players use a combination of up to three Sims heroes, then replay quests using different heroes
- Fantastic customization options including extensive Medieval attire choices and building creation and decoration options"
What better way to close this week's list of new releases with a charming game for the ages, based on one of the most loved toys of many toddler boys? LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars lets you play out your favorite moments in the third Star Wars game in an all-new animated world that has been LEGO-lized. Here's more about the game:
"The beloved and critically acclaimed Lego Star Wars franchise is back and coming to homes around the world in 2011. The third sequel, Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, combines the epic stories and iconic characters from the Star Wars universe and hit animated TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars with all new gameplay features. Players will enjoy brand new game mechanics allowing them to create, control and explore in a galaxy far, far away like never before. Promising breathtaking visuals as well as new characters and levels, the game also features the signature tongue-in-cheek humor from the Lego universe. With over 20 story-based missions and 40 bonus levels spanning the entire Clone Wars era, Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars will allow fans to explore endlessly and laugh their way through the Star Wars galaxy in the most humorous, accessible and action-packed Lego game to date.
- New Story - For the first time, players will experience their favorite stories from Star Wars: The Clone Wars, retold in the amazing LEGO world that fans know and love.
- Massive Ground Battles – Brand new to the LEGO Star Wars experience, players will take control of battalions of clone troopers against the relentless droid army - building bases, deploying vehicles and calling in reinforcements to defeat opponents.
- SceneSwap – Authentic to the Star Wars experience, a new feature allows players to take control of multiple teams in separate locations. Working together to complete various objectives, players will control each team through the press of a button, while playing in single player or in multiplayer co-op modes.
- All New Boss Battles – For the first time in the LEGO Star Wars franchise, fans will fight against massive bosses as seen in The Clone Wars animated series, including Gor, the epic Zillo Beast and many other favorites.
- Multi-Layered Space Battles – Players will be able to take off in their favorite ships to navigate and fly through multi-layered combat throughout the galaxy.
- Explore the Galaxy – Players will be able to explore exotic locations in a variety of ships throughout 16 different star systems. Fans will play as villainous separatists, the noble Republic heroes or even as bounty hunters, tracking down characters across the galaxy.
- Expanded Force Abilities – Using the Force in all new ways to control LEGO objects, players will solve puzzles, access new areas, pick up and throw enemies - even turning them into weapons."
What do you think of this week's picks? Will you be picking up any of these titles anytime soon? Happy gaming!