New Video Game Releases: Week 13, 2011
This week's latest releases do not disappoint. Role-playing gamers will have plenty of titles to choose from, including The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, The 3rd Birthday, and Mass Effect 2. Most of these titles are sequels or spin-offs from established RPG franchises, making it an added bonus if you're currently following their respective series. Gear up for some realistic racing in Shift 2: Unleashed or take a trip down to Hawaii for some hidden object fun in Vacation Quest: The Hawaiian Islands. Finally, take your love for wrestling on a whole new level and play as your favorite wrestlers in WWE All-Stars.
It took four years but finally the next installment in The Legend of Heroes role-playing game franchise is finally here. Trails in the Sky is the first of a series of three where you train and fight for peace in a beautifully rendered 3D world and environment. Here's more about The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky by the game developer:
"In the peaceful town of Rolent of the Liberl Kingdom, a young girl named Estelle and her friend Joshua, who had been taken in by her family years earlier, prepare to take their first steps to join the legendary guild of the Bracers. Bracers are considered the peacekeepers and protectors of order that owe allegiance to no country or government. In Liberl their guild has flourished since a brief war some 10 years prior after an invasion from the Erebonian Empire to the north, and their efforts have made peace a lasting prospect. In the course of their journey to become full-fledged Bracers, Estelle and Joshua begin to see the peace threatened by a dark side of the ruling government that plots to overthrow the Liberl queen, Alicia. Together they travel the world on their quest to become Bracers and slowly unravel the truth behind the mastermind who seeks to bring war back to their borders.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is the first of a new trilogy in the established The Legend of Heroes RPG series. A highly detailed 3D world, beautiful original soundtrack, and unique strategic battle system showcase production values a generation beyond the previous iteration.
Remember the heroine from the Parasite Eve series, Aya Brea? Well, this time you'll be taking on her character in this thrilling role-playing adventure game that promises hot and fiery gameplay. A quick peek at the cover art of the game is testament enough to that. Here's more about The 3rd Birthday by the game developer:
"Hideous creatures descend on Manhattan. Ground reports from the squad tasked with containing the pandemonium refer to these life forms as "the Twisted." An investigatory team known as the CTI is formed within the year. The Overdive system emerges as a means of opposition, but only one viable candidate exists - Aya Brea. A gift as she awakens from a lost past on this, the occasion of her third birth.
- Immersive third-person shooter with RPG elements
- Strategic combat with the Overdive system
- Rich and suspenseful story
- Immersive, high-resolution visuals"
Take a relaxing vacation to Hawaii in this exciting new hidden object game from Popcap Games. Extend your stay in lush tropical paradise by finding hidden clues on the island while lapping up luxury in posh suites and yachts. Here's more about Vacation Quest: The Hawaiian Islands by the developer:
"Discover your passport to the world's most exotic locations! Relax in the tropics as you search for hidden clues to extend your vacation and unlock new adventures. Are you ready to go? Explore 28 island scenes in search of over 2,300 hidden objects. If you find the seashells in each location you'll earn bonus days and tour new sites. Fill your vacation journal with your achievements and go for a Perfect Search to boost your score! Kick back in untimed Vacation mode or compete against the clock. It's your own tropical paradise!
- Find over 2,300 hidden objects
- Explore 28 tropical settings
- Play three game modes: Vacation Quest plus two bonus game modes
- Solve 8 unique mini-games: Match-3, Word Search, Circle Rotation and more
- Locate all the hidden seashells to extend your vacation and unlock new locations"
Here's the third role-playing game we're featuring in this week's releases. Mass Effect 2 is the sequel to the game of the same name which was a big hit in the space-based RPG genre. The fate of man's survival is in your hands once again and it's up to you to bring down the creatures threatening the human race. Here's more about Mass Effect 2 from its developer:
"The award winning makers of Mass Effect are bringing the Mass Effect franchise to Playstation 3. Two years after Commander Shepard repelled invading Reapers bent on the destruction of all organic life, a mysterious new enemy has emerged. On the fringes of known space, entire human colonies are vanishing. As Commander Shepard, you must assemble the galaxy's deadliest team and stop the most terrifying threat humanity has ever faced.
- Take cover, command an elite squad, utilize over 20 weapons including new heavy weapons, and unleash deadly powers against your foes with an all new and improved combat system
- Increased intensity with precision shooter controls -- including a new location based damage system -- deliver gripping action as you overcome insurmountable odds
- Travel the distant, deadly reaches of space to assemble your team of amazing and diverse characters in a desperate attempt to save mankind
- Create your version of Commander Shepard, customize your appearance, and tailor your own abilities and strengths
- Explore an entire galaxy of unique planets and embark on side missions to uncover more secrets in the Mass Effect universe"
Satisfy your need for speed in this exciting multi-player racing game. Interact with other racing buddies using the game's new social networking feature while immersing yourself in a racing video game that can't get any more realistic than this. Here's more about Shift 2: Unleashed by the developer:
"The critically acclaimed Shift franchise returns to the track with Shift 2 Unleashed. The most immersive racing experience to date brings the True Driver's Experience to life with all the intensity and exhilaration of being behind the wheel and competing in the Driver's Battle. From the all-new helmet cam to night racing to frighteningly real physics and crashes, Shift 2 Unleashed delivers all the violence and excitement of race day in a groundbreaking authentic racing experience.
- Next Level of Immersion - Experience visceral first-person racing like never before.
- True Realistic Racing - Shift 2 Unleashed redefines the racing simulator genre by bringing the atmosphere of race day to life.
- Amazing Career Depth and Variety - Earn unlocks and participate in multiple racing disciplines on the way to becoming the FIA GT1 World Champion.
- The Autolog Social Network - Connects friends, share stats, video and images both while you are playing and via your web browser.
- Customize for Show or Customize to Win - Unleash your creativity to turn some of the world's most elite high-performance vehicles into fire-breathing weapons."
Now this is the ultimate game for wrestling fanatics and aficionados. WWE-All Stars brings you fantastic arcade wrestling action featuring some of the most well-known professional wrestlers of all time. Take on the character of your favorite wrestler and challenge your friends to a smack-down. Here's more about the game by developer:
"WWE All-stars is an arcade style wrestling game that pits current superstar wrestlers from the WWE and legends from earlier eras together in the same game. Classic wrestlers like Andre the Giant, Jimmy Snuka, the Ultimate Warrior and many more face off against current superstars like John Cena, Triple H, Randy Orton and Undertaker in battles designed to determine who is actually the best of all time in the "squared circle."
- Fun and In-Your-Face WWE Arcade-Style Action - Take WWE action to the next level with high-flying, hard-hitting and high impact gameplay that bridges generations of WWE fans and casual followers alike with fun, intuitive and approachable gameplay that lets you jump right into the ring!
- Best Roster Ever - Choose from the greatest roster of WWE Superstars and WWE Legends EVER assembled in a WWE video game, including John Cena, The Rock, Andre the Giant, Big Show, Triple H, Bret "Hit Man" Hart, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Rey Mysterio and for the first time ever in a THQ/WWE video game, "Macho Man" Randy Savage.
- Four Awesome Character Classes - Punt an opponent sky high. Juggle him with your fists. Weave together killer combinations of high impact moves or best an opponent with your fists of fury.
- Fantasy Warfare - Who is the greatest WWE Superstar of all time? Which generation had the Best Big Man or the Most Impressive High Flier? Find out by choosing a side and playing through epic matchups between WWE.
- Create-a-Superstar - The greatest WWE roster of all time wouldn't be complete without YOUR created WWE Superstars. Customize your Superstar and pit him against the game's WWE Superstars and WWE Legends to see if he can become legendary."
And that concludes this week's edition of the latest video game releases. Which ones will you be picking up?
Note: The writer and/or the site may have received free samples or some other type of remuneration or benefit for trying out, reviewing, recommending or writing about the items covered in this article.