Wallpaper* Design Awards 2010: The Interior Design Winners, Part 1
There is no order to these designs. They are all first place winners in Wallpaper*'s furniture design categories. But I will start off with the winner of the overall prize for furniture design....
1. Wallpaper* Furniture Designer of the Year 2010: Konstantin Grcic
From the announcement... "Konstantin Grcic is a man who tirelessly experiments, reinvents and improves. Meticulous as an industrial designer by training, he applies the same level of attention and detail to all that he turns his hand to, from larger pieces of furniture to smaller accessories, leaving them all with an unmistakable Grcic stamp."
We've shown several of Grcic's designs here at InventorSpot. His most recent design, the 360 Container, is a great stack of caster-bottomed drawers that swivel around to where you are from a vertical pole as they open.
2. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Chair: Cord-Chair, by Nendo for Maruni Wood Industry
This hand-crafted Cord-Chair is made of a 3mm hard maple wood wrapped around a 9mm stainless steel frame, literally the total thickness of an electrical cord.
3. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Bed: 'Superia II', by Hästens
The Superia II embodies a proprietary double spring system and claims exclusivity, flexibility, and pressure relief... combined to provide a "sleeping experience on a whole new level.
4. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Bench: Titikaka Bench by Naoto Fukasawa for B&B Italia
An extraordinary wood-weighty outdoor bench, wood rolling over an aluminum frame, as graceful as water. B&B Italia.
5. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Centerpiece: Aurora Candles, by Monica Förster for Liljeholmens
These 75mm candles definitely stole the “BLOND BUDDHAS” show at the Komyoji temple in Kamiyacho last October, but you can imagine how they would look on your own dining table. The Aurora Candles are said to fit most standard candle holders.
6. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Table Lamp: ToFU, by Tokujin Yoshioka for Yamagiwa
In the words of its designer, "ToFU's significance is manifested through light, not the lamp itself." Still, the lamp is pretty stunning, especially on a reflective surface. The ToFU is available in a floor lamp as well as a table lamp.
7. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Coffee Table: Hexad, by Tomoko Azumi for Benchmark and Rocket Gallery
And a stackable coffee table, at that, but the Hexads look grand when adjoined! Find them at the Rocket Gallery.
8. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Armchair: Archibald, by Jean-Marie Massaud for Poltrona Frau
This cushy leather Archibald Armchair is so inviting. Don't worry about the spinal support either; it's all there.
9. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Rug: Furtive Persan, by Jean-Marie Massaud for Gandia Blasco
A pixelated black and white of the celebrated Persian rug, the Furtive Persan Modern Rug uses 100 percent New Zealand wool and is hand-knotted in two sizes.
10. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Cabinet: Archetto, by Alessandro Mendini for Cappellini
This sculptured icon really is a cabinet. Built of wood, the limited edition Archetto is covered in black lacquer inside and out. But the back of Archetto and the doors in front are then covered in mirrors, causing the cabinet to disappear from sight, depending on your perspective.
11. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Hanging Light: Kinetic, by Michael Anastassiades
A totally geometric assortment of rods and lights attached to balance each other and balance the light in a perfect circle. Kinetic is ingenious!
12. Wallpaper* Design Award 2010 For Best Parasol: Nenúfar, by Yonoh for Samoa
Just an awesome design. Slide it up or down, face it forward or slant it, the Nenúfar has you covered!
Wait... There are 11 more Wallpaper* Design Awards 2010 in interior design. See Wallpaper Design Awards 2010: Interior Design Winners, Part 2.