15 SIAL Trend & Innovation Awards To New Foods & Drinks Announced
Every two years, The Trends & Innovations Observatory of SIAL, an international group of judges awards brand new products that are innovative and have the potential to become successful because of their uniqueness and quality. These 15 mouth-watering foods and drinks from 6 countries have been announced. Nine of the 15 awards went to French companies.
1. The Netherlands: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Ricewich, Ricewich - Sushi Ran
Love the brand name! That alone should propel this specialty food. Of course, it sounds delicious too. You can get fried chicken, fried shrimp, and fried vegetable sandwiches, and instead of bread, a mixture of sticky, brown, and sushi rices, created in The Netherlands (?) I want one!
2. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Croc' Légumes, Pâtisserie des Flandres
You have to admit the packaging draws you in. And crocs are in this year, as the reptiles of interest. Once the packaging and branding are approved, the Croc' Légumes are a healthy, low calorie snack food in carrots/cumin and beetroot/shallot flavors.
3. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Essential Oils Crystals, Florisens
Here's a neat product. Organic essential oils are spiced and crystallized for use in cooking. A variety of flavors are available - fennel, bergamot, basil, etc - and they are reported to taste clear and strong. Great way to get you essential oils, season your food, and save time.
4. Italy: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Perlage de Truffe, Tartiflanghe
From Italy with a French name, comes an imitation caviar that's probably not much cheaper because it's made out of truffles. Truffle juice pearls in a juicy looking package.
5. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Ready-to Use Marinades, Saveurs Cuisinées
All natural ingredients, these ready made marinades, can be used for all types of cooking. Flavors include Mexican, Kebab, Chardonnay, Barbecue... but those are just the beginning.
6. Spain: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Honey Preserve, Helios
Helios is sold in the U.S.; maybe we will get to try this award winner. Judges say the fruit and honey combination offers great sensations to the taste buds. The preserves, available in strawberry, peach, and orange - contain all natural ingredients.
7. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Cuisimiel, Cuisimiel
Speaking of honey, Cuisimiel blends spice and honey to add to any food from meat and fish to dessert. You can even use Cuisimiel as a salad dressing.
8. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Croque-Monsieur Micro-ondable Claude Léger, Claude Léger
The iconic French "fast food" (ours should be as good!) is incredibly delicious and incredibly rich. It's a hot ham and cheese sandwich with plenty of cheese, pan-grilled in butter on two slices of bread that is served really crusty. How it can become just as delicious by being microwaved, I don't know, but the SIAL judges say it's pretty good when it's made even faster. And the bread is still crusty!
9. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to -18°, Daregal
-18° is the first frozen food supplement on the market, at least in France... and it is to be kept at -18° celcius. These supplements are sold by the specific health needs you have... Slimness, Vitality, Beauty, Digestion, and Relaxation. I'll take all five if they taste like ice cream!
10. Belgium: Sial Trend & Innovation Award to Simple Fruit Squeezable Jam, Simple Fruit - Belberry Preserves
Greater ease and more fun than spooning jam out of a jar -- fruit jam in a 'flask.' Now we need a squeezable peanut butter flask so we can make our sandwiches double-handed.
11. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Récréasum, Triballat Noyal
A twist on yogurt flavorings. Rather than adding fake jam and, possibly, fake fruit to a packaged yogurt, Récréasum makes yogurt crunchy with biscuits and citruses, tangy cherries, and almonds. Yum.
12. Slovak Republic: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Tatratea 32% to 72% Liqueur, Tatratea - Karloff
Tea liqueur? Why not? Kahlua came out in 1936! Neat bottles and not a bad brand name - Tatratea. In addition to coming in various strengths, Tatratea is available in flavors, such as Citrus, White Tea and Peach, Original Black Tea, and Forest Fruits. All natural ingredients can be served over ice, in hot tea, or in cocktails.
13. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Calicocktail, Roy René
Calicocktail is a new food that presents callison as a cocktail companion. Callison is a specialty of Aix-en-Provence, but its a sweet candy made of icing-covered marzipan. Calicocktail treats are savory, made with black olives, ratatouille, or dried tomatoes.
14. Austria: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Strlan Pumpkin Seed Oil, WolfNaturProdukte
No shells in pumpkin seed oil!
15. France: SIAL Trend & Innovation Award to Les Aristocades, Biscuiterie de Provence
Sweet and spicy biscuits - one as a snack or dessert, the other as an apéritif - Chic' Choc of flavors. The dessert biscuit is made with chocolate and red peppers, and the apéritif biscuit with black pepper, blackcurrant, and Bulgarian rose. Whoo! Both of these recipes were created by a chef toqué, whom you can see in the background of the package. Chef toqué can be best translated as 'hatted chef," or "chef wearing a chef's hat."
The 15 Trend and Innovation award winners will be formally announced at the SIAL 2010, October 17 - 21, 2010 in Paris. Another 1,000 new foods from around the world will be displayed. A special display of student chef edibles, The Food Landscape, was sponsored by SIAL and will be on display at the show.
Earlier this year, SIAL, the largest organization in the world representing the food industry announced the prestigious SIAL d'Or Awards for innovation and successful marketing earlier this year to nine products.
Let's hope we will soon be able to try some of these new tasties in the U.S. soon!