The AntWorks Illuminated Ant Farm, by Fascinations, provides a fascinating look into the lives and habits of real ants. Watch them from the comfort of your own room as they tunnel and move around in the clear container. The case is filled with gel which is included in the kit. But this isn't your ordinary, everyday ho-hum kind of gel! The non-toxic substance was actually formulated from a 2003 NASA Shuttle experiment that studied how ants tunnel in microgravity. How cool is that? But back here on earth, the gel serves two specific purposes; the ants live and move around in the gel and the gel serves as their nutritious food supply.
AntWorks Ant Farm
AntWorks Ant Farm Directions:
- First, remove the lid off of the container. Poke four holes in the gel with included stick. The holes act as starting points for the ants and give them a head start in tunnel making.
- Insert 20-25 ants into the case. Soon, they will be creating tunnel after tunnel right before your eyes.
- Ants prefer shade - don't place them in full sun.
- Ants generally have a one to three month lifespan.
AntWorks Ant Farm: Scott Jorgensen
AntWorks Illuminated Ant Farm Kit:
- Ants are not included in the kit.
- The ant farm is contained in a clear polymer case.
- The kit comes with gel, ant-catching tool and instruction booklet.
- A magnifying glass and a zoom lens in also included for an up-close, birds-eye-view.
- The Illuminator base includes four LED colorful neon lights of red, blue or green.
- When lit, the unit makes a cool night light.
- An AC adapter is included.
- This product is recommended for children eight and above.
- The kit comes with small parts and is not recommended for children under three.
- Retails at $29.99
This spectacular ant farm really delivers! Not only is this ant farm colorful and super-cool, it is educational as well. What a great gift idea for a young nature lover or little scientist-to-be.
Be sure to check out Tim Whitney's 2007 product review of the basic AntWorks ant farm product.
Sources: AntWorks, Amazon and Insect Kits Photos: Scott Jorgensen, Smart Home, Wayne,