What is the Selk'bag? A Camper's Dream... To a Point
Until recently I went camping several times per year. And believe it or not, it gets damned cold in Florida during certain months. So, when nature calls and you've gotta crawl out of that tent at 3 A,M... well, this is close to an answer to staying warm.
Introducing the Selk'bag. While it looks like a bizarre space suit, it actually has some cool features. Here are the pros:
- It comes in a variety of colors and sizes (from medium to XXL).
- It contains a quick release hand closure system, allowing users to easily grab things and still be snuggled up.
- It is water reisitant and has a hood as well as a neck cover (which to me is quite important in cold weather--I get sick easily when it is chilly).
- The soles of the feet are thick to prevent wear and tear when walking around.
- And it folds up like this:
Theys guys have some pretty good reasons as to why the Selk'bag is a good idea:
Here's my major con: No zipper in the area that needs a zipper... if you get my meaning. Sure, there are zippers to the side that allow access to your pockets and the general area of my concern. But I suspect that a majority of individuals will find this useful (women in particular) when nature calls. If I'm lumbering out of the tent on my knees (or at least crouching), and I have to stumble into the bushes, I want some access to... THAT area, if you know what I mean. The whole point is to be able to stay warm during that short period of time.
This issue aside, the Selk'bag is a really great idea. I want one. At $160.00 it won't break the bank and it has some great reviews.
You can get the Selk'bag at Amazon!