Health and Medicine - New Discoveries, Studies, Research, and Breakthroughs
Curious to find out about recent discoveries and breakthroughs in
health & medicine? Interested in the latest medical research findings?
Please visit us often to get the most interesting research news and updates relating to physical and mental health and the latest medical studies.
Subscribe here to the latest updates to our "Health and Medicine" articles.
It doesn't matter whether it's cocaine, alcohol, nicotine, or opiates - drug addictions may be explained in part by about 400 genes. Scientists predict that genetic factors may account for up to 60% of an individual's drug addiction, while environmental factors account for the other 40%. read more »
Is Fido's fur causing you to fret and frown over your furniture's future? Does the care and maintenance of your pooch's pelt leave you pooped and peeved? Well, I've discovered two patents that address some of the hygiene problems facing dog owners - dog hair, dander and fleas - in unusual ways. read more »
The compounds in cannabis are already known to alleviate the pain from cancer and other illnesses, but now some studies have found that cannabis may also stop tumor cells from growing and getting out of control, as normally happens in untreated cancer. read more »
Grocery stores are now a great place to advertise, not only for the store and the products they carry but also for medical centers, tv shows and even nonprofit campaigns. read more »
Plantronics®, for many years a leader in sound technology, has been devoting a good part of its research to enhancing sound for hearing impaired persons through its Clarity® division. The latest Clarity device to hit the market is its C4230™ telephone/answering machine that looks strictly space-age, but has all the bells, booms, and lights you need if your hearing is mildly to severely impaired right here on earth. read more »
Nowadays, the word "automatic" appears in front of almost everything we touch. Today a brief stroll around the aisles of most stores reveals a culture that can no longer, is no longer, interested in doing things the old-fashioned way: manually. Disagree? Then take a look at United States patent 6471679 . read more »
Last year in celebration of 15 years of business TAXI and its executive creative director Steve Mykolyn decided to give back to the community. Steve came up with the 15 Below project and recruited Lida Baday, Canadian designer, to design a coat for the homeless. She designed the 15 Below jacket. read more »
Can placing magnets on your skin cure aches, pains, and sprains? So-called "magnetic therapy" is often considered to be a hoax under the guise of "alternative medicine." But now a study by biomedical engineering researchers at the University of Virginia has found that magnets may really provide biological healing. The scientific evidence for the controversial therapy may lead to mainstream use of magnets for athletes, the elderly, and others. read more »
Unfortunately, suicide is a horrific problem facing the members of the global community. Look how some countries are reaching out to their citizens. read more »
"I Could Just Kick Myself." Well, now you can!
Did your parents ever tell you all you needed was a swift kick in the butt? If you were in grade school around the time I was - back when no one much cared about your self-esteem or your feelings - you might have heard a teacher say these very same words to/at you. Perhaps when you've screwed up, yet again, you've even uttered these words to yourself under your breath. The obvious problem in this last scenario is that people just aren't built to accomplish such a feat. read more »