Invention Websites--Helpful Websites for Inventors
Have an invention or invention idea?
This is a list of some possibly helpful links for inventors. These websites are not being recommended by us, and are merely provided to serve as a helpful starting point for your own research.
General Advice and Overviews
A good place to start learning about the invention process is our Inventor Information section. We have hundreds of articles on inventing and the whole invention process so take a look at our Inventor Information or just search our site for any specific information you are looking for.
Also read Myra Per-Lee's Invention Blog - A Step by Step Inventor Guide by an Inventor for Inventors.(HINT: Start with her oldest posts for general tips and advice on how to get started.)
You can also check out our Inventor Service Providers Directory if you are looking for a particular service provider.
- InventorSpot.com - the best and most popular invention website
- US Patent and Trademark Office - Inventor Resource Website
- US Copyright Office
- US Small Business Administration (SBA)
- United Inventor's Association
- Regional Inventor Supports Groups
- SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) - a nonprofit organization that is a source of free & confidential small business advice for entrepreneurs.
- National Congress of Inventor Organizations
- Franklin Pierce Law Center - find valuable information regarding intellectual property law
- Technology Commercialization Learning Center - Comprehensive coverage of the technology commercialization process.
US Government Assistance for Inventors
- U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE's) Advanced Manufacturing department offers financial and technical support to inventors and businesses for promising energy-saving concepts and technologies.
Defending Against Fradulent Schemes
- Spotting Fraudulent Invention Promotion Firms
- Form for Filing a Complaint against a Invention Promoter
- Invention Promotion Caution List
- List of Complaints Filed with USPTO
Industry and Market Analysis
- Hoover's Online - Online Businessand Company Information
- Polson - Great Overview and Instructions on How to Research a Particular Company or Inductry Guide
- US Census Bureau
- US Commerce Dept - Bureau of Economic Analysis
Patent Searches and Registration
- USPTO - free patent search
- Freepatentsonline - free patent search
- Patent Genius - free patent search
- USPTO - forms
- Guide to filing an utility patent
- Guide to filing a design patent
- Patent search tutorial
Finding a Lawyer
- Helpful article on How to Find an Attorney
- Search Database of Registered Patent and Trademark Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell -Leading Directory of Lawyers
- Laywers.com -Search for lawyers by specialty
- Intellectual Property Law Server - has a helpful forum where you can ask legal questions
- On-Line Provider of Legal Forms - Legal Zoom
Crowdsourcing and Invention Competitions
- InventorSpot.com - post frequently on all the various invention and product competions and contests looking for new product ideas.
- Quirky.com - Anyone can submit an idea, the Quirky commmunity helps develop the idea and winners are chosen every week to get their products developed.
Making The Most of Quirky.com - Inventor Tips, Advice and Info
Genius Crowds allows anyone to submit an idea and the community to comment. Winners can potentially be made into future products. Winners are chosen by the Genius crowds team and royalties are shared with the inventor.
International crowdfunding platform for all types of campaigns.
Financing and Loans
- Overview of Process of Financing an Invention or Small Business - How Stuff Works
- Tips on How to Present to Investors
- Find out who exactly are angel investors
- US Small Business Administration
- Regional SBA Offices
- Office of Entreprenuerial Development
- Terrific Article of Resources
- Angel Investor Magazine
- Angels' Forum
- Angel Investor Central
- Angel Network
- Atlanta Technology Angels
- Common Angels
- Global Project Marketing Network
- Investor's Circle
- Keiretsu Forum
- Kickstarter.com - online funding platform
- New Vantage Group
- OffRoad Capital
- VentureChoice Inc
- Venture Worthy
Crowdfunding -online source for microfinding for your invention idea
- Thomas Register of Manufacturers - Database for industrial information, products, services
- Harris Infosource - Manufacturers by state
- MacRae's Blue Book - Classic industrial directory
- MFGQuote - online quotes for contract manufacturing parts and services
- Product Developer Blog from the Product Developer and Manager's Association
- AIPMM - Association of International Product Marketing and Management (AIPMM) is largest professional organization of product, brand managers, and product marketing managers.
- European Intellectual Property Association - The European Intellectual Property Association (EIPAWEB) represents over 100 non-governmental and other not-for-profit organisations interested in protection the intellectual property of all europeans.
- Marketing Profs - helping info and marketing know-how from professionals and professors.
- Cision - Source for media contacts such as newspapers, magazines, television and radio.
- Marketing Sherpa - real life case studies, practical know-ho and benchmark data on what works in mnarketing today.
- LES - Licensing Executives Society- extensive resources and training for its members but there is an annual fee and to join, you need to have referrals for existing members.
- Thomas Register of Manufacturers - Database for industrial information, products, services available at most libraries. This is a great list to look for potential licensees.
Free Press Release Publication and Distribution
- PressExposure - free basic press release distribution service
- PRWeb - free basic press release distribution service
- PRLeap - free basic press release distribution service
- TSNN - search for a trade show
General Business Advice
- SCORE.org - terrific resource for free small business advice and individual counseling for free.
- StartUpNation.com - great resource on everythng you need to start your business
Foreign Government Patent Office
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom
- World Intellectual Property Organization
Make sure to check out our Inventor Service Providers Directory.
Also read Myra Per-Lee's Invention Blog-Step by Step Inventor Guide by an Inventor for Inventors.