Ten Things to Know About Pitching to American Inventor
This Sunday, on the LifeTime Television show Health Corner hosted by Leeza Gibbons, Jodi Pliszka, inventor of Headline-It and one of the top twelve finalist on the American Inventor television show, will be featured at 9:30 a.m. / 8:30 a.m. central. Please make sure to catch the show if you can.
Jodi Pliszka is our special Guest Blogger today. In anticipation of the upcoming auditions for Season Two of American Inventor, she had some helpful advice for inventors interested in auditioning.
Here's her article:
TEN THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT PITCHING TO AMERICAN INVENTOR:
1. You must have a great idea...and PASSION behind that idea! SHOW THEM YOUR PASSION.. don't hold back!
2. You must not have any criminal record.. no legal issues at all. Anything that would be hard for you to get a job.. FORGET IT!
3. You must be sane and able to pass an MMPI, Psych test. They will not accept emotionally inferior people.
4. You must be willing to give up two months of your life...and be cut off from the world.. NO CELL PHONES and NO COMPUTERS.
5. You must be flexible and willing to work with producers...doing and saying what THEY want you to say.
6. You have to be able to SHOW and TELL the BENEFITS of your product. THIS IS KEY.
7. Do NOT pitch statistics... NO NUMBERS...they want to hear benefits and unique ideas.
8. Have an idea that is your own.. and able to be patented. PROTECT YOUR IDEA!
9. You must have PATIENCE OF A SAINT... you will wait a long time..and if picked.. need to be able to have patience.
10. You must have great stage presence...and be like-able by America. You need to be DIFFERENT from everyone else. REMEMBER INVENTORS... this is a TV SHOW! They already know WHAT people they want to pick... married couple, young kid, person that is different, older person, cultured person, etc. If you don't make the cuts on the show.... it is NOT because you did not have a GREAT IDEA..... NEVER GIVE UP........ they will only pick who they need to make GOOD TV. REMEMBER THAT....... be brave, be strong, never quit and don't let one show discourage you from achieving your dreams!
Most of all... HAVE FUN!
GOOD LUCK to all that will audition for Season Two American Inventor....it is the experience of a lifetime and something that you will hold dear to your hearts for always! HAVE FUN and GO GET "EM~!
P.S.... my book will be out with the launch of the show! Please enjoy reading all the behind the scenes information that I wrote just for you all in my upcoming book Bald is Beautiful: My Journey to Becoming........enjoy and keep dreaming! GOD BLESS!
JODI PLISZKA, M.S.
American Inventor Top 12 Finalist
Inventor of HEADLINE IT!